The Frank Jones Memorial Scholarship &
The William E. Flippin Sr. Leadership Award
It is our pleasure to acknowledge your educational achievements! This scholarship fund has been established in memory of one of our former pastors, The Reverend Frank Jones and in honor of our current pastor, Dr. William E. Flippin Sr., Senior Pastor. Our mission is to provide financial assistance to active members of The Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church who seek to further their educational endeavors by attending a vocational school, technical school, or a two (2) or four (4) year accredited institution of higher learning.
To be eligible, students must:
- Have been a member of The Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church for at least two (2) years prior to application deadline date of the last Sunday in April. (No Exceptions) (Member number must be provided);
- Be involved in activities and/or ministries at The Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church;
- Be transitioning from high school to an accredited vocational school, technical school, or a two (2) or four (4) year institution of higher learning in the upcoming Fall semester or quarter;
- Have a 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher (official transcript required) or must have earned a GED (General Equivalency Diploma) by application deadline;
- Each applicant is required to write a biography “Tell us about yourself” (a typed doubled spaced brief biography);
- Frank Jones Memorial Scholarship Applicants require essay on the topic:
Which of the following do you consider to be the most important societal problem, and why? The current government situation, voting or the “Black Lives Matter” movement. (Minimum 500 words typed doubled spaced).
- William E. Flippin, Sr. Leadership Award requires written Essay Topic above and the following written essay topic:
How have you demonstrated your leadership ability to positive influence and lead others both in and out of school? Describe the personal characteristics involved and why each is important. (Minimum 500 words typed doubled space)
- William E. Flippin, Sr. Leadership Award requires participation verification on organization letterhead indicating leadership position, date of service and sponsors signature;
- Submission of a completed Frank Jones Memorial Scholarship / William E. Flippin, Sr. Leadership Award application along with required documentation by the deadline date of the last Sunday in April at 12:00 noon to receive consideration;
- You may fill out application and essay on-line (to complete application on-line, you must upload your essay(s) for the application to be completed) or you place application and required documentation (i.e. official transcript, College Board test scores, acceptance letter, essay, biography, participation verification, etc.) in sealed envelope;
- If mailing and/or dropping-off application to the front office, please write your name and Frank Jones Memorial Scholarship or William E. Flippin, Sr. Leadership Award on the front of the envelope, and submit to The Frank Jones Memorial Scholarship Office at The Greater Piney Grove Baptist’s William E. Flippin, Sr. Family Life Center (1879 Glenwood Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30316).
The Frank Jones Memorial Scholarship Office is the only location to submit scholarship applications. Only complete application packages received by the deadline date of the last Sunday in April at 12:00 noon will be considered.
Steps to Complete the Frank Jones Memorial Scholarship Application
1. Complete essay topic 1 (see topic description above).
2. Click here to complete the online application and upload essay topic 1 file.
3. You must be signed into a Google account to complete the application.
Steps to Complete the Dr. William E. Flippin, Sr. Leadership Award Application
1.Complete essay topic 2 (see topic description above).
2.Click here to complete the online application and upload the verification documents and essay topic 2 file.
3.You must be signed into a Google account to complete the application.
For more Student Scholarship Opportunities from The Greater Piney Grove Church in honor of our members, please click here